Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Chill Weekend

This weekend my friend Jesse drove down from Hood River. He had never been to Bend before so I decided to show him around....on the list: Tumalo Falls, Dillon Falls, Benham, Parilla Grill, Lava Island, and of course Aldercreek.

Saturday:
We busted a move out to Tumalo Falls. In the winter, the 100 foot falls actually freezes up and is an exceptional ice climbing location...if only I knew how to do that...it would be so fun! :) Anyways, we got to Tumalo falls in the early morning and got some great shots before the sun disappeared. Did I mention it was snowing AND sunny. Just another typical day in Bend. It doesnt get any better.


Tumalo Falls
(Above) Photo by: Jesse Becker


Me checkin out the drop
(Above) Photo by: Jesse Becker

After checkin' out Tumalo and hiking a few miles in the snow, we decided to hit the rio while the sun was still out. Dillon Falls down through Lava was the choice. Even though it is a low flow, it is still good stuff.

Our first run down Dillon........


(Above) Me dropping in

Jesse B running the shit that is Dillon :)
(Above) Photo by: Christina Russell



Yep, dorks

After a run on Dillon-Lava, we headed back up to Dillon to meet Josh for a quick huck sesh. I flashed down to run dillon and take shots...this is when things got interesting. First off I should mention that when the lifterpad is NOT in my boat, bad things happen. This is pretty consistent and I respect the fact that I really need that booster seat lol! So there I was going down to run dillon when I realized I didn't have my lifter pad. This is what I like to call an "oh shit" moment. Yep. I got completely rejected by the entry hole and shot clear across the lip of the drop into the photo eddy. ha ha ok perfect I will just take pics. ya ya I had to run it later.....
So Josh came down first followed by Jesse. Both of course had clean lines and styled it. They hiked back up and then I decided that well, I should probably do it. I was parked literally at the lip and decided that the ferry across to the river right side (from river left) was doable....with much encouragement from the peanut gallery I might add ha ha. I quickly discovered that this was NOT doable. One word: SHALLOW. I basically was ferrying and slipping back toward the drop cuz I couldnt get enough purchase with my paddle. The water is just too shallow at this flow. There I went, backwards and right down the middle (where the gnar is). It's on video so I will be posting that soon. We all love carnage! :D

That was definitely the most interesting Dillon Falls run I have EVER done and now I can say I have run Dillon pretty much every way possible...well, I havent freewheeled the thing but I'm not sure that would feel good on Dillon.

Sunday:
I woke up to a HUGE wind and snow storm. Gusts were at 50 mph and the waves on the coast were pushing 40 feet. I later learned that the coastal winds were 120 mph! With the storm hitting us pretty solid and expected snowfall throughout the day, Jesse headed back to Hood River. being that it was Sunday and I had a final on Monday morning, I hunkered down with the books and enjoyed the warmth of my apartment....ah it's the simple things in life you treasure.

*Stay tuned for the carnage video :D

Happy Paddling,
Miss Chris

No comments: