Saturday, May 10, 2008

EF Lewis


Following our run down Copper Creek, the crew decided on a run down the EF Lewis into the gorge section. Mostly class 3 until you arrive at the gorge where you are treated to some quality class 4 drops.....just watch out for the wood!

The put-in is at a tunnel. Todd called it something funny I cant remember....but Im gonna go with the "Tunnel of Love" he he he

photo: Josh Mckeown
Paddler: Christina Russell

Below the put-in you have a few miles of mellow goodness and then Sunset Falls. This being part of the Canyon Creek Race, the Huckfest would take place at noon on Sunset Falls. Biggest trick wins. Unfortunately, Sunset is not the best waterfall to throw tricks off of. The guardian hole is just too big and nearly right on the lip. Anyways, we had a scary moment on the falls. Here's how it went....



Below: Right about here, I realized I wasnt going to be boofing....if I did, I would have squashed miss Kim. I plugged right in between Kim and the curtain and resurfaced on the other side of her boat.






Kim and I were pretty surprised at the event and took a minute to discuss what happened. Thankfully no one got hurt!

Gnarly huh? ok so it gets better.....after this we had the gorge. Now it wasnt the gorge that caused problems. Oh no. It was the stupid drop right below the gorge. Kim asked for me to go first and so I did. The instructions were: "Hard left" . Ok I thought, HARD left. I started paddling down and all of a sudden I was on my face and on a bunch of rocks!



JUST under the surface was a little F*** you rock that REALLY hurt. I promptly flipped and flushed into the wall where I broke two fingers. I really beat my body up that day.

For all those that have not yet run the gorge- remember the little f*** you rock on the exit drop! It'll get ya!

Off to the Clackamas River Festival this weekend! Ill keep you posted! :)

Happy Paddling,
Christina

No comments: